Saturday, January 17, 2009

Safety Razor

You know those iconic, flat razor blades? The kind that make you think of suicide and punk rock and a different era? Turns out they are great for shaving.

Really. I've always suspected that the multiple blade thing was just marketing. Maybe because after the two blade system came out (with the illustrated cartoon of a very thick hair being pulled out and a second blade cutting it) it seemed odd. Or maybe because the follow up Saturday Night Live “Triple Blade” commercial, mocking the idea made me suspect that it wasn't all good.
In any case, now that they're up to 5 blades, they can charge 5 times for each one. (This came out in The Onion a couple of years before the 5 blade razor was actually released. Can't WAIT for the 7 blade, oh just imagine how close that shave will be!)

Since I like sharp blades, but go through them like candy,(apparently blessed with steel wool hairs) the cost really added up. So I did some research and found an old razor on eBay. They were made to last back then, so if you find an old one, just clean it up and it will probably be good to go.

You can also still buy them new, you just have to order them from another country, since they are widely available, just not in the U.S. (Hmmm, suspicious, no?)

On the bottom of the handle, there is a knob that unscrews and two panels open to gracefully hold the single blade. Mine opens like two butterfly wings. Some have a top that comes off, and you insert the blade, reinsert the top and twist the bottom. Some are even adjustable, but that is too fancy for my shaving needs.

Blades for this thing are super cheap, but they are not all alike. Some rust, some are not as sharp. After some research, I found a stainless steel brand with a good sharpness ranking, and bought a case (Wilkinson). I think it works out to about 25 cents a blade. They last longer than the twin and triple blades I was using, are easier to clean, and you can flip them over to extend their use even more.

I read an article about “wet shaving” and these razors are apparently making a comeback. Men are discovering badger bristle brushes, scented shaving soaps and these lovely safety razors, and turning shaving into a whole experience. Maybe I'll give that a shot. Sounds fun. Here is a lovely article with more details about the whys and hows called “How To Shave Like Your Grandpa”.

Oh, and how could I forget the brilliant, step-by-step video for building up a good lather for shaving. I stumbled upon this whole series of safety razor shaving tips posted by Mantic59. Very helpful and inspiring.

3 comments:

  1. I just shaved with the single blade razor today but what I didn't know, that I found out last night, is that moisture and lather are just as crucial for a good shave. Ordinary soap, like Bronner's, will work if you lather it up enough the only problem is that it will dry your shaved area out. Try and follow up with a good after shave lotion to keep the area smooth and feelin' fine. The safety razor does indeed beat the man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really should try traditional wetshaving with a brush and lather soap/cream. It makes the shave with single blade safety razor much more effective. It can also be equally inexpensive if that's where you want to go: an inexpensive brush is under $50 (and will last years) and you can find Van Der Hagen shaving soap at many drug stores and grocery stores for about $2. Check out my youtube 'how to shave properly' channel at www.youtube.com/user/mantic59 and my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mantic 59I don't know how I missed it, but on the initial post, I left off the link to your instructional video (fixed that). When I saw your videos, I knew I was going to have to try the badger brush/shaving soap method.

    I found a badger brush from Tweezerman for around 15 bucks that I thought I'd try.

    ReplyDelete