Thursday, January 22, 2009

Homemade Toothpaste


We started making our own toothpaste because we didn't like the ingredients in regular toothpaste. Some of that stuff is scary! But as it turns out, it is also cheaper. Here is our recipe:
  • baking soda
  • hydrogen peroxide
  • flavor (optional. We've used peppermint extract and anise extract. I think cinnamon is next.)
  • Dr. Bronner's (optional)

Here is the how-to video that got us started. Basically, it's a paste of two parts baking soda, one part hydrogen peroxide, add in flavor.

We make ours fresh every morning, but I am thinking of making a small amount of paste. I like a drop or two of Dr. Bronners (hippie soap) because I like a little foam. We are also growing stevia just so I can add the ground, dried leaves to make it a little bit sweet. Stevia is a very sweet herb that does not cause cavities. Or so I've read. As for fluoride, well... it's in the rinse water whether we like it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment