Friday, January 9, 2009

Cheap Vodka Drycleaning

I read this tip from a stage costumer. She wrote that to keep costumes fresh, costumers spray the costumes with vodka, the cheaper the better. (We used the ironically named “Aristocrat” brand, $4.49 at Price Cutters)

“This shirt says ‘Dry Clean Only’. Which means it’s dirty.” Mitch Hedberg said it, but I always think it when I see my own pile of dirty dry cleaning. The worst, though, was my green suede jacket. I love that thing, but have been forbidden to wear it until it is dry cleaned. Yeah, that's gonna happen.

So I tried the vodka trick. I turned the jacket inside out, sprayed vodka in the pit regions and let it dry out. At first it smelled a little of alcohol, but that soon disappeared. Now I have my jacket back, and it smells like suede. Not booze. Not B.O. Just suede.

4 comments:

  1. Yep. I am wearing my green jacket today. Man, I love that thing, I lived in it last year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also sprayed this on the pits of my "doin' stuff" winter coat. It was so smelly that I felt too self-conscious to go anywhere in it, but since it is much warmer than my prissy coats, I had no choice a couple of times. Now, it's just fine.

    It won't get out dirt or stains, though. I shoulda mentioned that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I bought some Aristocrat (Congress and Executive Choice are other "great" brands) and now I'm an active alcoholic again. But my dry cleaning stuff doesn't smell as bad.
    WhineBoy James

    ReplyDelete