Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Grow free/cheap plants

Its been a while since the last "almost daily" post, so I thought I would make it a good one. Free plants for your garden. Well, free seeds, anyway. Here are some sources:
1. Heirloom Seeds- You may have to buy the first of your heirloom seeds, but after that, you can save the seeds and plant them year after year.
2. Seeds From Produce It won't work for all fruits and vegetables, but you can grow from the seeds in produce. If you get it from the local farmer's market, you have a better chance of sprouting something that can grow locally. We accidentally grew a great volunteer crop of cantaloupe this way, and used up some sprouted potatoes. Hybrids will not produce a fruit like the parent, though.
3. Seeds from Bulk Food After we learned that the amaranth that we have (bought) seeds for will not yield as much as others, I was a bit frustrated. All I wanted was to sprout some amaranth like the kind we bought in bulk from our local health food store. Then I read an article that said much of the bulk seed from health food stores can be sprouted. (Coriander, for one. And the seeds are cheap this way.) So I took the bulk amaranth, and tested the viability of the seed (put some in a half-folded, damp paper towel to see if they would sprout) They did. I am going to plant those and see how they grow.
4. Trade Seeds Most packs have more seed than you can plant, or have room for. So sharing seeds is a common practice. If you have a gardening buddy, share there, or go online and find a seed swapping place.
5. Get Cuttings/Divide Plants My friend Steve has a sage plant that is huge and beautiful, but according to him, needs a haircut, as it takes up too much space. He has an aloe plant that has desperately outgrown its pot. He has mint running wild, and Jerusalem artichokes volunteering everywhere. All this means that I am going to have some sage, aloe and mint (I already planted the Jerusalem artichokes last year.)
6. Plant Perennials. They say perennials are hard to grow from seed. I dunno, I am giving it a shot for the first time this year. If I am successful, that will be the last time I have to do it, because perennials come up year after year.

No comments:

Post a Comment