Saturday, February 21, 2009

Window Curtain Insulation

For the longest time, I didn't think about window coverings as functional. Oh, sure, they keep prying eyes from seeing what's going on inside, and they can make a room look more finished, but until recently, I didn't use them for temperature control. When I was cold or hot, I just bumped the thermostat. But no more!

Our south side windows let in a lot of heat (just ask the cat, who will follow the sunbeam from the front room to the back bedroom for his afternoon catnaps). Even on a cold day like today, with the sun shining, these windows are letting in tons of heat. The north side of the house is constantly cold, but by adding thick coverings to the glass, we have cut the cold coming inside significantly. At nights and on cold, overcast days, we close all the window coverings. The heater comes on less often now.  In the summer, it's the reverse... we keep the south blinds down. 

This isn't anything new. I remember an old friend who took down the heavy winter curtains and put up the airy summer curtains every year. Now I finally understand why.

No comments:

Post a Comment